counter

Friday, July 24, 2009

Nature Notes & Bird Bulletin…

I am taking some leave in the coming weeks so posts will likely be scarce for a good few weeks. I will use this combined “Nature Notes & Bird Bulletin” post to summarise a few odds and ends from my last island visit.

Nature Notes

Magpie Robin News. We have experienced some considerable set-backs in recent months with several chicks lost to Mynah bird attacks and two adults lost to illness. This is a matter of real concern as the population has decreased to 20 birds which is the number we started with a year ago and we have lost more females than males from the adult population. It is urgent that we take measures to improve breeding success in the population. The estate has been assisting with localised habitat management creating higher quality feeding grounds in each territory. Meanwhile I am in final negotiations with the island under what conditions we can bring a marksman to the island to undertake a preliminary cull of the Indian mynah population. The Indian mynah (Acridotheres tristis) is an invasive alien species in Seychelles and a highly effective predator of the eggs and chicks of our rare endemic species – so we have to deal with it. On a positive note I encountered a family group of three birds on the path called “L’Allee Bodamye” I was walking from the central path junction in the island when I noticed a single SMR following me. I took the opportunity disturb the leaf litter with my feet in order expose the insects upon which the bird feeds and moved on. When I looked back there were three birds on the patch of scraped ground. Such a sight even today is significant as it represents approximately a 60th of the world’s entire population of this endangered species. So I turned to take a few photos. One of the adults on seeing that I had stopped however soon came forward making its “churring” aggressive call. So not wanting to stress the birds I cleared another patch of leaves and left them to their foraging.

L’Allee Sed. The path that leads from the west coastal path to the island’s main central junction (mentioned above) is called “L’Allee Sed” because it is formed by an avenue of casuarina trees. L’Allee Sed is one of the older features on the islands. Casuarina trees were likely planted on the island from the 1860s onwards to provide a better windbreak for the coconut plantations and I have found reference from 1907 to the stands on the island being a major feature. The L’Allee Sed is therefore recognised under the island’s management plan as an important historical and ecotourism feature of the island that needs to be maintained.

Sally lightfoot crabs. In my post of 5th July I wrote about this species of crab and its special adaptations to life in the breaking waves. I also mentioned that on occasion the cast off exoskeletons could sometimes be found. During my last trip I indeed find one on the southern rocks see photo in sidebar.

Bird Bulletin
  • I am pleased to report that both Paradise flycatcher fledglings are alive and well. Rachel Bristol, the Flycatcher Project Officer, is currently out on the island to follow up on the population so I should have more detailed news soon.
  • Sadly the ground-nesting Tropicbird to the south of the island that fledged its first chick in December appears to have abandoned its nest without breeding this time – there are few factors that may be involved and I will follow up on the site closely.
  • I noted only 1 Crested tern on the island last weekend interesting as I had recorded my highest ever count of 15 only a few weeks ago (see Post of 8th June).
  • Sooty terns are a common sight and sound overflying the island aside from the actual project area they are particularly notable displaying over the northwest coast at Pte Mme Guichard.
  • I checked on the White tern chick, the rescue of which I reported on in my second post of 5th July and am happy to report that it is growing well see photo in sidebar.

1 comment:

bathmate said...

good posting.i like it. thank u. :)-


www.bathmateus.com