counter

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bird Bulletin 8

Crested Terns. These beautiful birds are still with us and indeed I recorded my highest count for Denis yet, on Friday 10th October, with 14 birds perched on the southern rocks.

Bridled (re)Terns. Having recorded a bridled tern roost of 200 – 300 birds on the island October through December last year, I have been on the look out at the southern point of the island where the bulk aggregated last year but without success. Then on Saturday 11th I was undertaking the first beach check of the new hawksbill turtle season when I noticed all five buoys off the west of the island were being used as perches by bridled terns. This gave an inclination that birds might be returning and sure enough further down the coast in the branches of a prominent casuarina tree I counted 15 bridled terns and 10 lesser noddies. The southern point of the island however still shows no sign of bridled terns and so I will keep monitoring this small roost area to see if it expands as the weeks pass.

Frigate birds. I have still to go and check properly on our Frigate bird roost as the right time usually clashes with other commitments but on the evening of Friday 10th I saw 29 Frigates flying very low over the island towards their southwest coast roost area.

Blue pigeons. I have written at length on the blue pigeons on the island in other posts (most notably the August 10th post entitled “Natural Recolonisation 1”) and the population continues to do very well. On Saturday 11th I saw two fledglings together accompanied by an adult in a small Morinda tree. The various ornithological reference works do state that the birds will occasionally have a clutch of two eggs, though I have personally never seen this, but this sighting seems to suggest the successful fledging of a clutch of 2 on Denis.

King Myna. The Myna birds on Denis have taken to imitating the call of the Magpie robins already causing me stop more frequently to verify whether I am indeed hearing a robin or not. I have also seen on 3 or 4 occasions recently, at Belle Etoile, what is known as a “King Myna” – i.e. a Myna bird which has no feathers on its head or neck thus revealing the yellow skin all over its head to quite startling effect.

No comments: